This Page

has been moved to new address

Titanium Dioxide Is Perfectly Safe To Use

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Minima Black Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 26 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#000; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif; text-align:center; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#9ad; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#a7a; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#ad9; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #333; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #222; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; color:#ccc; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#ccc; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#ad9; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #222; border-width:0 1px 1px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:bold 78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ad9; } .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#ad9; } .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#333; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#777; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#999; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Titanium Dioxide Is Perfectly Safe To Use

Photo Credit: Discovery Health & Wellness

There are so many sources out there feeding into the misconception that titanium dioxide is toxic or harmful to us. 

Titanium dioxide is a very common and effective physical sunblock ingredient. It is an opaque mineral that comes in nano or marco form. Most of the negative allegations involve titanium dioxide at a nano level, but all other ‘forms’ have been claimed to have carcinogenic effects.

The truth is titanium dioxide at all levels and forms is perfectly safe to use in sunscreens and cosmetics.

Instead of me re-iterating it, I’ll just post excerpts from real, concrete studies dispelling the misconception:

“Based on the current weight of evidence of all available data, the risk for humans from the use of nano-structured titanium dioxide (TiO(2)) or zinc oxide (ZnO) currently used in cosmetic preparations or sunscreens is considered negligible..."

"Multiple studies have shown that under exaggerated test conditions neither nano-structured TiO(2) nor ZnO penetrates beyond the stratum corneum of skin. Further, the distribution and persistence of these nano-structured metal oxides is the same compared to larger pigment-grade (i.e., >100 nm) particles, demonstrating equivalence in the recognition and elimination of such material from the body”

So in a nutshell, neither nano nor macro sized titanium dioxide is harmful to the skin or our general health. The stratum corneum is a highly effective barrier to coated and uncoated minerals. There is a very low risk of absorption into the bloodstream (enough that it is ruled out as even a risk) so there’s nothing to be wary about when using sunscreens or cosmetics that contain titanium dioxide.

Sources:
Human safety review of "nano" titanium dioxide and zinc oxide
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20354643

Lack of significant dermal penetration of titanium dioxide from sunscreen formulations containing nano-and submicron-size TiO2 particles

Stratum corneum is an effective barrier to TiO2 and ZnO nanparticle percutaneous absorption

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

The excerpt you provided also says Zinc Oxide is safe too, that gives me relief ^^

March 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Yes, zinc oxide is completely safe! <3

It's crazy how much false information is out there on the web. If these people just check the facts, they'll know half the things they tout as 'dangerous' or just fine. Just like parabens.

The only sunscreen ingredient I avoid and deem as dangerous is oxybenzone. :)

March 19, 2011 at 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mileena :)
I was wondering if you know of any good lip lightener? It's crazy that you can bleach your teeth and even gum at a professional dentist or doctor, but no one has yet invented something so you can lighten or bleach your lips!?
What's up with that? I think they should come up with something because a lot of people ehave uneven lip color, especially people of color.
My top lip is darker than my bottom lip which is why I want to lighten my lips in the first place.
it's so frustrating that there are nothing out there except for the standard lemon juice and glycerin and what not.

Great blog btw!

March 20, 2011 at 12:48 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi!

Lip lightening is tough. I'm not gonna sugar coat it - it's hard to do because you can't use all types of ingredients there due to risk of ingestion and such.

Make sure you got exfoliation of your lips (focus on top lip) down consistently. Be gentle, and not everyday. You can easily exfoliate with a toothbrush and some jojoba oil, vitamin E oil or jojoba oil. Or just use a facial scrub there or your towel. Always keep the area moisturized with a good, emollient lip balm and in the daytime ALWAYS wear an SPF lip product like BurnOut's Zinc Oxide lip products for the day are awesome!

http://burnoutsun.com/lipbalms.htm

As far as lightening, the standard lemon juice and glycerin is pretty much the 'conventional' thing to do. I know a few people that use vitamin c serums (10-15%) tapped on their lips and apply vaseline or some emollient on top. This can be irritating though...but vitamin c should help to lighten.

In terms of lightening products, Latisha Dark Lips Balm or Godiva's Licowhite Lip Lightening products. They are worth a look if you don't want to go the DIY route for lightening. But exfoliating, moisturizing (never let them get dry and try not to lick them) and protecting them should go a long way.

Best of luck! <3333

March 20, 2011 at 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mileena. In the above comment, you mentioned BurnOut's zinc oxide lip balm, and I was just wondering if it leaves a white cast on the lips. I bought Badger's SPF 15 lip balm and it made me look ill, so I basically chucked it out. I now use Alba Botanica's SPF 8 lip balm, which is tinted pink and looks nice on me, but since the SPF is so low, I'm looking for something stronger, especially for the summer.

March 20, 2011 at 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, I will try it all! :)
When your skin is lighter i find that dark uneven lips doesn't look very good IMO.

March 21, 2011 at 7:41 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

BurnOut's zinc oxide lip balm is utilizes micro encapsulated zinc oxide so it shouldn't be harsh.

If you want a strong protective one, Vichy's CAPITAL SOLEIL High-Protection Lip Care Stick SPF 25 or La Roche-Posay Antherpos Lip Cream SPF 50 would be ideal. =D

March 21, 2011 at 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mileena,
Do you have any recommendation for toner since my skin is combination and I have breakout sometimes. So what should I pick between tea tree oil toner or vitamin C toner? Thanks so much! <3

March 22, 2011 at 2:10 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi! :)

Tea Tree Oil is generally the go-to choice to for acne, but honestly the studies done it are sparse and not impressive at all. I would go with a vitamin c toner, albeit it doesn't have any irritating ingredients.

I don't use a vitamin c toner myself, but many people basically use their DIY vitamin c serums as one. They put in those spritz bottles and spray a bit on their face after cleansing. It does work!

The only 'toner-esque' product I use is the Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid. She also has a great new toner designed to clear pimples - CLEAR extra strength toner. Never tried it, but it's a toner so it's more lightweight than the Liquid (which is more like a BHA serum). I love her products because they have the correct pH in them so the BHA actually gets into the pores.

But as far as vitamin c toners...I don't know of any quality ones at the top of my head. Sorry =/

March 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mileena, i just wanted to know if 2% hydroquinone will lighten my tan to my pre-tan state or will it give me a grey bleached out look?

March 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM  
Anonymous Randy said...

Gah, i dont think ill touch tea tree products anymore... or maybe again.
---
my skin's fair!! Hahaha now i REALIZE this. U know, i have a personal term for those with white skin: bai ren. thats from mandarin (white[bai] people[ren]). Regardless, im fine with my tone. The problem is that i still have lots of lighteners. i have 3 products--its very confusing to choose what to apply at night. i usually alternate them. recently im into retinyl palmitate products. they are not too potent but i find my skin reacts to it like hell. i have some little pimples now. at least its not like retinoid :D
---
in Indonesia, local and sound companies produce and sell their skincare products at a low-low price. generally between IDR15,000-100,000++ thats around USD1-10++. :D the ingredient is usually something youll find easily.

March 22, 2011 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi!

HQ should lighten your tan to your pre-tan state for sure. If you find your skin looking 'dull' use an AHA product or peel. I find my skin looks grey/dull even when using Retin-A. For some reason alpha hydroxy acids do a better job at giving radiance back.

But no, if you're doing everything right (sunscreen, gentle consistent exfoliation) then HQ shouldn't give you a bleached out look.
<3

March 23, 2011 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hey Randy! =)

Retinyl palmitate is pretty weak, but it's a decent ingredient. It's weaker than retinol so it probably won't convert into retinoic acid into the skin but I don't think that's what you're looking for anyway.

I know what you mean about having lots of lighteners. I de-cluttered my regimen last year and it's so much easier to apply products. You can always alternate every other night with a different product, or use one lightener in the daytime while the other at night. Certain lighteners can be layered on top as long as they don't too much conflicting ingredients or too harsh ingredients (it's usually not good to layer 2 strong AHA products).

<333

March 23, 2011 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger Randy said...

it wont convert? But i really believe it since my skin is really adaptive, responsive, and fussy at d same time :D

March 23, 2011 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

lol! Well some of it might. But it'll have to pass through the skin and convert into retinol, then retinaldehyde and then finally retinoic acid (tretinoin). So...it's like 3 steps to get to the real deal!

<33

March 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

I was wondering how long does your sunscreen last (sofina) 1 months or longer than that . Reason i am asking because i think i use too much because it very milky its hard to measure 1 tsp for the face . I love this sunscreen but after 2-3 hrs i do get oily shiny and i still gettinf lots of under the skin bumps.Pls let me know how much shold i use on my face.thanks

March 24, 2011 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi,

It should be roughly 1/4 teaspoon (it doesn't have to be exact but close to this). I apply it by putting little micro dots and just lightly blending/tapping in. You don't need that much, 1/4 teaspoon isn't that much if you think about it. If you're having trouble, get a spoon that you won't be using for eating and measure it out each time roughly in the spoon. :)

One bottle lasts 3 months of daily usage. I mainly use it only on my face. I use a separate sunscreen for my neck and arms. But even if I used it also on my neck, it would be last for 2 months.

What do you use to remove it?

March 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mileena,

Does the Roc Soleil Spray 30 SPF a sunscreen or a sunblock? And is the PPD ratings good for it?

March 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi!

It contains a mix of both chemical filters and physical sunblock ingredient. The PPD is around 10. Pretty good! =D

March 24, 2011 at 3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for fast response ! I use fancl cleansing oil at night and follow up with foaming cleansing. I think i use too much of sunscreen i don't do small dots instead i i put layer of my skin (heavy) and leave it for a mintue then rub into my skin. I have acne and melasma that's why i always put too much. I think i should trying small dots of my face then rub? my sunscreen bottle last only 40 days max only for face.

March 24, 2011 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Try using the micro dots on the face method. You don't really need much, just to make sure a thin layer is over the skin (coating). I find if I apply too much, I break out as well too. With any sunscreen.

<3

March 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

a friend: you rub the sun protection??? Thats pretty stup.

March 24, 2011 at 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the quick response! I think I am going to purchase the Roc. Pricey, but I love its light weight formula :D

March 24, 2011 at 6:46 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Your welcome! It's an excellent product! :)

March 24, 2011 at 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mileena !

Can you please let me know where can i but eucerine anti redness products online ? I live in canada bc and shoppers drug marts does not carry all the products .I checked at drug store .com but there shipping is $31.00. Thanks

March 25, 2011 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

The anti-redness products are unfortunately not sold here in Canada =( It sucks I know! I tried looking for reputable Canadian vendors that sell it but I can't find any.

Drugstore.com is the only option for now. I'll keep looking. Have you tried looking on ebay?

March 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home