This Page

has been moved to new address

Product Review - Makari Caviar Face Cream

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Minima Black Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 26 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#000; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif; text-align:center; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#9ad; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#a7a; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#ad9; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #333; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #222; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; color:#ccc; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#ccc; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#ad9; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #222; border-width:0 1px 1px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:bold 78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ad9; } .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#ad9; } .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#333; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#777; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#999; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Product Review - Makari Caviar Face Cream

 Makari's Caviar Cream is an ultra-emollient skin lightener created for very dry skin types. It is designed to lighten dark patches, acne marks and the entire complexion as well as ease out fine lines.

This was the first Makari product I ever purchased. It was getting a lot of raves and I decided to try it out. Mind you, this was about 4 years ago, so my knowledge on skin product ingredients wasn't to the level it is now. I also did not pay any mind to the fact that this product is clearly targeted towards dry skin types. It was during the fall, so my skin was already becoming midly dry. Also, at the time, I needed something to fade a stubborn tan and get rid of old acne marks.

Like other products in the Makari line, the design of the bottle is very attractive. As I've stated in my review for the Makari Night Cream, I do not personally like using products that come in jars due to sanitary and excessive air exposure issues.

I applied the product on my face and neck at night. Right off the bat, I could tell the texture might be too rich for my skin type. It smoothed and blended very well into my skin.

Because this product is very rich and hydrating, I found the only time to use it was at night because it would make my face appear very greasy (especially my t-zone).

Everything was fine until I started experiencing irritation and itchiness from under my skin. I remember I could feel the pimples starting to form when this product was over my face.

Eventually by the third of fourth night of using this, my skin started to break out. The break outs did not stop until I discontinued using the Caviar Cream. I have to admit - the acne was getting out of control. The product didn't just clog my pores to give me tiny red pimples or whiteheads, but it also gave me cystic acne along my jawline (an area I hardly ever get pimples). It just proved to be way too rich, and come to find out, way too comedogenic.

I would only recommend this to skin types that are not acne prone at all, and really do have very, very dry skin.

In terms of skin lightening results, I felt my skin became very pale quickly. I would say probably by the end of the first week did my skin start dramatically becoming lighter. I use the term 'dramatically' because literally the skin on my face was becoming very pale. There is no argument that this product has the ability to lighten, but the acne inducing properties were more than enough for me to stop using this on my face. After about the middle of the 5th week of using this, I decided to use this product on other areas of my body that had sun damage and pigmentation issues.

I used up the rest of product on my knees, decloette and forearm area. The product did lighten the harsh tan that I acquired in those areas and I preserved the results with deligent sunscreen use.

So all in all, I would say this product works best mostly as a body lightener. Makari has a body beauty milk, that is larger in size so that would probaby be the better, more efficient option. The facial skin should never be in contact with the Caviar Cream. It is not oil-free and has a host of other pore clogging ingredients. The product will not ease out fine lines, but may soften the look due to the fact that is moisturizing. That's not really special at all. The lightening power is quite intense, but the fact that skin's condition has to suffer in the process is what makes this product not worth your money.

Rating: 3/10

Ingredients:

Water, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Dpientaerythrityl Hexacaprate, Propylene Glycol Myristyl Ether, Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate, Squalane, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Lauric Acid, Propylene Glycol , Ceteareth-6, Caviar Extract,Hyaluronic Acid, Cetearyl Glucoside, Mulberry Root Extract, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Retinyl Propionate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Arbutin, White Lily Extract, Salicylic Acid, Licorice Extract, Mimosa Tenuiflora Extract, Jojoba, Dog Rose Hips Oil, Panthenol, Triethanolamine, Escin, Carrageenan, Allantoin, Lactose, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Iron Oxide, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

does makari take paypal? i cant find it anywhere.

November 4, 2009 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Makari can be sold through many online vendors that use PayPal. Here is a good one:

http://www.sierrabeauty.com/makari.html

You can also get Makari products from Amazon.com. They have a great ring of online payment services just as secure and good as paypal.
=)

November 4, 2009 at 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats awesome. however, i've been hearing about fake. makari, how do i know the online vendors sell the real deal?

November 4, 2009 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

From what I've heard about the fake knock-off Makari products, those are usually from certain stores. I believe those stores were located in the UK - specifically a place in Peckham.

Online vendors generally sell the real deal. Here is a link explaining the 'real' places you can get them from. Just a post from Makari: http://skinlighteningblog.com/?p=109

I am certain that the Makari products from Sierrabeauty and Amazon are real. From the few members I have spoken with that purchased from there, it is authentic with the official hologram Makari stick under it.

November 4, 2009 at 11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you tried the body milk? how big is the container?

November 12, 2009 at 6:25 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

I've never tried the body milk, I was going to purchase it but I just ended up using the rest of my Makari Night Cream on my body.

The container for the body milk is pretty big, about 140 mL (4.75 fl oz). I've heard good things about the milk, considering that it does a nice job of lightening body skin without any reactions or side effects.
=D

November 12, 2009 at 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooy, thank you soo much!

November 13, 2009 at 2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI, I JUST PURCHASED MY MAKARI SET BUT I NOTICED THAT THE genuine original STICKER ON THE CAVIER SOAP IS DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE ON THE BODY MILK! SHOULD I BE WORRIED? MAKARI IS EXPENSIVE AND I AM THINKING OF TAKING THIS FURTHER, MAYBE REPORT THE STORE OR SOMETHING... HELP ME PLS XX

WORRIED CHICK LONDON, UK :(

November 30, 2009 at 3:21 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

The genuine sticker doesn't have to be the same design on each. As long as there is a sticker there, I wouldn't be worried about it.

I've never tried the Caviar Soap so I don't know how the sticker is supposed to be, but I know for many companies, they use different stickers for different product groups (cleansers, lotions, soaps all have different stickers).

IF you are really worried over this, take a picture of the sticker, upload it and e-mail Makari for confirmation.

Though I am pretty sure it is fine. Certain genuine stickers differ from product to product.

<3

November 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU, THATS A GOOD IDEA TO SEND THE PICTURE OF THE STICKER, I MIGHT DO THAT OR JUST ORDER FROM THE MAKARI WEBSTE & COMPARE THE TWO STICKER... ONLY WORRIED B'COS THE BODY MILK IS NOW A LOT LESS EFFECTIVE :( ... THANX x

December 1, 2009 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

"A lot less effective"? Are you referring to the Body Milk you purchased that you think is a fake?

Before you even order from Makari, just to save time and money, just wait (don't use the products yet if you are really worried and unsure) until after you send Makari the picture of the sticker on the products you have. Once they confirm it is fine, then go ahead and use it.

You can also try uploading the picture on the Bright Skin Forum. Many members have tried many products from Makari, I am sure they can comment if they have the same 'sticker' or not.

<3 <3

December 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been using Makari for the past two years, towards the end of last year, all the lotion and night cream i have bought seems to be irritating my skin especially on my face.I have always bought from the same store in Dalston Hackney London.Were can i buy the original one?

March 4, 2010 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi!

Have you tried ebay? It seems to be a common issue though for many people. On the Bright Skin forum, people are commenting that they feel the formula has changed. I'm going to e-mail Makari to ask if this is true or not.

<3

March 4, 2010 at 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, if you are looking for authentic and original makari products contact www.kedaph.com
They order from the wholesale in USA.
Many thanks

July 13, 2010 at 1:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If I were to write a review of this cream, I would write this post verbatim. My experience was absolutely similar.
I had to stop using this product in two weeks and i am suffering from terrible acne because of this caviar cream. I was just very tempted to try this product and wish I hadn't. Mileena, can you please suggest ways to fix this cystic acne. Atleast some important do's and don'ts. I will wait to hear from you.

However for its skin lightening power, I miss it tremendously. It did wonders to my skin. Just wonders. I wonder what ingredient in it had that power. I have switched to Cosmetic Skin Solutions Phyto+ and I see no results from it at all. Maybe I need to wait a long time to see some.

January 8, 2011 at 1:45 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi Lisa,

I was actually surprised how many people related to my review. Makari's ingredients are definitely not designed for acne prone or sensitive skin types. If they only re-formulated the inactive ingredients to get rid of all the useless 'luxurious' emollients than it probably would be less problematic. =/

The acne I got from Makari ultimately propelled me to get on prescription topical retinoids (Retin-A gel). But I used to control it with BHA use everyday and weekly peels. I also gave my skin a break!

I would use a good quality BHA to clean out my pores - Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid was my fav. I hear Stridex Pads are great too though and less expensive/easier to obtain. It took a few weeks for the cystic acne to subside but at the time I refrained from using anything - including sunscreen. I just made sure my skin was over oily or over dry. It takes time, but simplifying your regimen can help.

A peel also helped. I used to use the Alpha Hydrox 12% Sheet Style Mask one a few times a week. With these AHA/BHA products, more acne surfaced (skin purging) but in the end it was worth it since they would come to head eventually.

I'm sorry you got the cystic acne btw - I know how it is =( Just give your skin a break and use a good BHA product to slowly start clearing out your pores.

Phyto+ most likely will not give results comparable to Makari. Continue using it and you should see at least some type of visible change. Have you tried the Hypercreme Illumination Fluid? It's a bit like Makari (not as strong by any means) but it does give visible changes better.

:)

January 8, 2011 at 7:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Mileena,

It is so sweet of you to write in detail. It is comforting to discuss with you. Dealing with acne is a pain. And I am just dreading their scars which is there to come :-(

In Japan, the Proactiv series is really famous. Salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide combination. I am sure you will advise against it as it will undo all my antioxidant activity. I have so heard that BPO is one of the strongest treatments for acne and BPO in itself does not give you scars.
I have just ordered the 2%BHA from PC. The next 3 weeks are important socially and I wont be able to my skin a break either :-(
But its a lesson so well learned.

Coming to lightener's, I am honestly so confused. I understand that you are pretty much at your goal skin tone and may not want to use the strongest lighteners. I am on the lookout for one and hence I keep posting and bugging you. I haven't heard you mention Hypercreme before in your posts.
So which is that you would recommend as a strong lightener? :
Hypercreme, Lantomi, Paul and Joe?
God I am so confused Mileena. I want to start with something that shows results so that it keeps me motivated. Over years of observation I have at least understood that I react to Licorice. I remember when Vichy had it in their formulation, it gave me results and when they took it out, Vichy had no effect on me at all.
I will wait to hear from you.

-Lisa

January 9, 2011 at 1:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Mileena,

Another quick question:
Can you help me figure what I reacted to in Makari, so that I can figure it out in my next choices. I read contents of Hypercreme, The lightening ingredients are very good but it has shea butter and wheat germ oil. Will they be comedogenic.
I so want to nail down what ingredients have to be avoided. I am so insecure at the moment.

January 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi Lisa,

I COMPLETELY understand the position you are at right now. It's hard I know dealing with a bad breakout. When I was using Makari - I was pretty frantic about getting the acne and cysts gone as fast as possible. I did get some scarring but those faded with consistent exfoliation (I believe at the time I was using the Olay Regenerist Peel/Microdermabrasion System) and sunscreen daily. I don't remember which lightener I used after ward. I don't think I did - I gave my skin a break from lighteners and just stick with sunscreen, AHAs and just trying to create balance in my skin (not overdrying it or over-moisturizing it).

Benzoyl Peroxide is very effective at treating acne. No doubt about that. It is a pro-oxidant but if acne is an issue, then you can override this small drawback and use it if you choose to. Combined with BHA it does work very well at clearing up the pores and removing acne. The acne scar issue with BP comes from repetitive usage. BP used for a couple of months won't cause any pigmentation damage at all. It's the long term use of it that leads to acne scars due to free radical damage attraction and irritation (drying out the skin).

Makari is FILLED with comedogenic ingredients. It's hard to pin what causes it since mostly all the ingredients are potentially pore clogging. Shea Butter usually works very well - I have oily skin and can use it sparingly. Wheat germ oil is usually tolerated quite well too. Have you been on the Acne Detectives site? It's an amazing site that rates common inactive/active ingredients by their risk for causing acne. Here is the link:

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm

It's great that you've recognized that your skin responds to licorice extract. The DDF Holistic Lightener I noticed gave my skin some visible skin tone changes. I remember while I used it my skin did look lighter (it has licorice extract).

Paul & Joe is something that I feel is a great, non-risky lightener since it has great ingredients for sensitive skin and seems to do a great job at making the skin tone very even and 'glowing'. Most comments I've gotten from anyone who uses it always mention a luminous glow when they use this serum.

Since your skin is still reeling from the breakouts and I understand you don't want to take any chances with your skin, I would go with the Paul * Joe which should work nicely alongside a regimen that also has BHA (synergy with exfoliation + lightener). The Lantomi, while is effective isn't the most ingredient friendly. My skin LOVES it but I know that come spring/summer I won't be able to use it. It's too moisturizing.

January 10, 2011 at 9:15 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

@Lisa I'm the same way with the Vichy as well. The original formulation was WAY more effective at lightening skin. It's the combination of Procystein & Licorice Extract. *sigh*...why do they discontinue great products? =(

January 10, 2011 at 9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mileena,

I have made time so late to finally write to you. Thank you for your mesg. God! I miss the Procystein and Licorice extract of Vichy! It worked like magic. Sigh! One day I was googling why on earth did vichys products stopped responding and thats how I had landed on your blog! :-)
I have decided to buy the Paul and Joe. Will do soon. My acne bursts have subsided. Some scars are there. Yes.

It will be nice if you do one post on your blog recommneding products which can lighten you up in shades. And some products which are like Vichy or Lantomi, lightens but not shades. It will take away alot of stress of decision making from your readers. I would highly love it and ofcourse be obliged.

Hope you are having sunny and bright days
Hugs
Lisa

January 27, 2011 at 2:59 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi!

Oh...I know EXACTLY what you mean about the old Vichy Bi White formula. That used to be my favorite skin lightener, it always had an effect on the tone and clarity of my skin. The new re-formulated version is very weak in comparison =(

Thank you for the suggestion. I really do need to post a blog about the most effective lighteners that lighten up in shades. I'm still test driving some great ones and will probably put those all in a recommended skin lighteners post.

<3333

January 27, 2011 at 7:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Makari Caviar face cream a healthy dose of antioxidant-rich tea complex and an infusion of vitamins A, C, and E make this skin-smoothing formula exceptionally fortifying and beneficial. For best results, use it as a complement to the Free Oriflame's Even Out Face Cream Face Cream Cleanser. It is so sweet of you to write in detail. It is comforting to discuss with you. Dealing with acne is a pain. And I am just dreading their scars which are there to come. It is great for removing makeup, as an aftershave cream. Thanks for sharing with us.

face cream

February 24, 2011 at 4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home