This Page

has been moved to new address

Product Review - Sofina Perfect UV Lucent SPF 50 PA +++

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Minima Black Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 26 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#000; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif; text-align:center; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#9ad; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#a7a; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#ad9; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #333; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #222; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; color:#ccc; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#ccc; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#ad9; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #222; border-width:0 1px 1px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:bold 78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ad9; } .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#ad9; } .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#333; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#777; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#999; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Monday, September 20, 2010

Product Review - Sofina Perfect UV Lucent SPF 50 PA +++

Out of all the sunscreens I tried in my life, Sofina Perfect UV Lucent is my favorite. The main reason is because it doesn't feel like a typical sunscreen. It is the only one that it matte on my oily skin (and when I say matte - I mean it. It controls oil as well so it's a great primer), leaves no ghostly white cast and protects the skin exceptionally well (SPF 50 and PPD of 10-12 ish). But the thing I like most about it is that it doesn't break me out. So many sunscreens out there are so greasy and pore clogging that for awhile I almost gave up on using sunscreen altogether. Well, that was until I found this one. :)

For those who have never heard of Sofina - it is a Japanese brand. I was introduced to Japanese sunscreens about 2 years ago and instantly was astonished at how different they are in comparison to US, Canadian and European brand sunscreens. They are matte and translucent, and leave such a lightweight, cosmetically elegant finish. I believe part of the reason why they are so well designed and matte is because of the climate in East Asia as opposed to here in the West or in Europe. A lot of these brands like La Roche Posay, Vichy, Bioderma and RoC are quite moisturizing and emollient. They are basically 2 in ones - sunscreen and moisturizer. The problem with that is; not everyone wants a 2 in 1 product. Some of us (oily, combination and even normal skin types) just want a matte sunscreen.

The Sofina Perfect UV Lucent SPF 50 PA +++ is a perfect example of what facial sunscreens should be like. Aside from being lightweight (comes out in a milky consistency - make sure to shake it up first. There's a little mixer ball inside to help it all mix together), matte, fragrance-free, non comedogenic and translucent (no white cast) it stands up against the sun very well. I can spend an hour in direct sun light during peak hours (11am - 4pm) in the summer and not get a hint of color or flushing. The two main active ingredients are zinc oxide and octinoxate.

What makes this sunscreen protect my skin just as well (or even better) than higher PPD sunscreens is that it is so cosmetically elegant. Remember sunscreen has to form a protective coating on the skin and remain there to protect you. If the product is too greasy or is sliding off your face then you are not getting protected. Also since it wears so beautifully, applying the 1/4 teaspoon on my face is no problem. That is why I advocate using a sunscreen that you enjoy (even if it has lower protection) than a greasy, high PPD one which probably is not protecting you if it's too greasy and conflicting with your natural sebum.

This sunscreen is very water resistant, so getting it off your face is a bit tricky. You need to use a cleansing oil to remove it (think of it as something as resistant as water proof mascara). Then follow up with a gentle cleanser (foaming or gel based) to remove any residue from the cleansing oil.

In the winter time I find it to be too drying on my skin (which is crazy to me since my skin is SO oily) so I usually layer it on top of a lightweight moisturizer. You will find this product works well layered on top of your lightener or vitamin c serum as it matifies everything.

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone looking for a sunscreen that doesn't make your skin feel greasy, or look shiny. I suggest giving it a shot since once you try it, you may not ever want to go back to regular US brand or European sunscreens, lol!

It comes in 2 sizes - 25ml and 60 ml. That's a good amount of size and lasts for up 2-3 months if used on your face. I use a separate sunscreen on my neck.

It can be found on these following sites:

BeautyKat - $33.00
BoboDave - $30.00 for 60ml

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Rating: 10/10

Ingredients:
Octinoxate 4%, Zinc Oxide 13.87%
Cyclomethicone, Water, Dimethicone, Alcohol, Glycerin, Talc, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Lauryl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate, Crosspolymer, Polysilicone-9, Dimethicone/Methicone Copolymer, Titanium Dioxide, PEG-12 Dimethicone, PEG-3 Dimethicone, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methicone, Silica, Hydrated Silica, BHT

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have my eye on this sunscreen. currently i'm using a sunscreen by clinique. it has zinc in it as well and titanium dioxide. no chemical blockers just physical blockers. it does have a tendency to make my face look white which is why when it finishes i am going to buy sofina. plus i have oily skin and the clinque isn't that matte. just a question, why do you use a different sunscreen on your neck? which one?

September 20, 2010 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

A lot of other sunblocks with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide tend to leave a whitecase since the zinc oxide isn't in microencapsulated particles. Sofina looks and feels like you have nothing on your face - really ;P

I don't always use a seperate sunscreen on my neck, it's just that I have a seperate body sunscreen and now that Fall is upon us, I don't really need it for areas of my body so I use it up on my neck. It can definitely be used on your face and neck and still last well up to 3 months.

For an oily skin type like myself this sunscreen is perfect. A cleansing oil is a must to remove it though. Any cleansing oil will do, I use Fancl Cleansing Oil. I get both products from Bobodave (fast, reliable).
<3

September 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

In feel and finish, this is very akin to Clarins uv plus (which contains only titanium dioxide though). I recently read at the MakeUpAlley Skincare board that Sofina is discontinuing the Lucent version (and another one - supposedly they'll only keep the whitening version). I decided against stocking up, because it still has a fairly low ppd and I can do with Clarins. But I may reconsider if the ppd upgrade from Clarins to Sofina, even if little, would be considered worthwhile for someone suffering from melasma. Mileena, what do you think? (I read at MUA that UV plus has an approximate ppd of 8, I believe). Thanks and greetings, Lou

September 21, 2010 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi Lou,

=( I had absolutley no idea the Sofina Lucent was going to be discontinued. That is horrible, I am definitley going to stock up while I still can.

The White Protect version they have is somewhat similar from what I can read in reviews but has some potentially comedogenic ingredients like squalene.

The Clarins UV Plus is fantastic. I don't know the exact PPD of the Clarins but 8 is perfect for incidental sun exposure (day to day activities). Basically a PPD of 8-12 is fine for everyday wear (probably not something like going to the beach).

I think it's worth a try since if it's going to be discontinued (which is SOOO sad!) this might be your last time to get it.

<333

September 21, 2010 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

Thanks Mileena, I appreciate your feedback!

Alas, I still suffer from acne (though it is under control, due to retin-a and a non-clogging skincare and makeup regime) ánd from (hormonal) melasma. The squalene, then, might be a dealbreaker. Because of the melasma, I'd love to find a product similar to UV Plus or Sofina Lucent but with a much higher PPD. I tried Avene and Bioderma, but didn't find them as cosmetically elegant. I now simply layer products: C-serum (minute amount to avoid irritation), niacinamide (nia24), UV plus and Diorskin foundation powder, which offers some PPD (+++) as well. Of course I always stay out of the sun. I believe my melasma was actually triggered years ago by far too harsh acids, that I'd purchase over the Internet (glycolic 20, 40, 50 and 60%). I'd love to get rid of the caramel archipelago's on my cheeks and forehead, but by now I'm pretty much resigned to having them. And makeup does a great job of covering them up. :-)

I did get a bottle of Sofina, btw, via Bobodave. That's how I noticed the similarity between the two...

<333

September 21, 2010 at 5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mileena,
Currently i am using a sunscreen by life which i bought it from shoppers. It leaves an oily residue once i apply it. And since fall is approaching do you think i should use the Sofina? i dont like the one i am using at the moment because of that oily feeling. And at the end of the day my face looks dark.

September 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Life brand sunscreens are swful! I've tried them as testers at Shoppers and they are incredibly greasy. That darker look you get at the end of the day is the direct result of the 'greasiness' since it oxidizes the sebum on your face.

I suggest getting Sofina, which is perfect for all year around. If I find it's drying me out I just apply a thin, lightweight moisturizer on my dry spots and layer the sunscreen on top.

Apparently it's going to be discontinued very soon so I suggest if you want to try it, do so now before it runs of out of stock. I am so hurt by this, lol! Really, I am stocking up like crazy since this is my fav. sunscreen ever.

September 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM  
Anonymous orlando said...

Hello milenna im orlando from brihgt skin forum lol
What kind of cleansing oil do you recommend, i have read that also on another website that you need to remove Japanese sunscreens and also the neutrogena sheer liquid with a cleaning oil
btw sofina is way to expensive for me lol
so what do u plan using after your done with sofina ?

September 24, 2010 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi Orlando,

From what I understand you certainly do not need a cleansing oil to remove the neutrogena sheer liquid. It is very similar in ingredients to the Vichy Capital Soleil Ultra Fast Drying Fluid I used 3-4 years ago. I would cleanse with a good foaming cleanser (Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser, Neutrogena Fresh Foaming etc.)

With Japanese sunscreens since they are actually water resistant, you need a cleansing oil to remove it. There are tons out there, I use Fancl Cleansing Oil since I find it just works really great with my skin. There are ones by several different companies like DHC, Shiseido etc. MAC even makes them.

Well I've just stocked up like 4 bottles of Sofina and that'll last me for a long time. There are tons of susnscreens just like Sofina out in the Japanese market - Kanebo etc. I'll probably just get another Japanese sunscreen. Probably not Shiseido since that one is a bit greasy and has a strong white cast.

;)

September 24, 2010 at 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Randy said...

Mil, i have an important question. Does sunray darken ur skin darker than ur undertone? Im pretty fair since im asian (genuine indonesian but called chinese wannabe, sad) and sun is killing in tropical countries. I ALWAYS see those chinese cross-breed walking here n there with NUDE, FAIR skin wthout sunscreen and they manage to be white for a looooong time. Crazy. Well i never feel dat im getting darker bfor dis sunscreen ritual so i wonder if sunray can darken more to a tone darker dan mine. Mmm.
My acnes uv tint is reliable since im a student whos locked up in classroom for 7 hours minus 15 mins of break n another 15 mins for praying. Ah, i always wonder... im a moslem n i must pray 5 times a day, at schl we do noon prayer at 12pm which is HOT but luckily we do dis indoor. ablument must be done before praying n logically it rinses d protection film of d sunscreen off. Thats logically, but spiritually it is an absolute ritual. I still feel d uv tint since yeah its kinda water resistant so when we still feel d presence of d film, is it still there??
Its a pretty long chain of questions, i hope u r not full enough of my charm :D :D

September 25, 2010 at 1:15 AM  
Anonymous Randy said...

Oh this one isnt answered yet :-( so sad.

October 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi Randy,

I'm so sorry I missed this comment <333

The people who remain light probably are just naturally light. Who knows they could be using some type of SPF in their makeup or a very lightweight, matte sunscreen.

Definitley not wearing sunscreen can darken skin overtime. Tans are inevitable if exposed to the sun's rays for more than five minutes on some people. Generally if you are using retinoids or some type of exfoliant daily, your skin is more sensitive to the sun so wearing sunscreen is a must. Those people probably don't do much exfoliation on top of the fact that they are naturally that color.

Washing sunscreen off during the day can be a problem. Especially if you can still feel the film on your face. If you still feel it that means it's not been fully cleansed off your skin which means it can clog your pores AND it's not really protecting you since you damaged the protective coating. Unless you re-apply that can work,just make sure to cleanse thoroughly when you are finished with your last prayer and headed off to bed.

=)

October 1, 2010 at 9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Milena -

I just wanted to say that I spent AGES in a massive Japanese store trying to find the Sofina Perfect, but it's gone. There are lots of other Sofina sunscreens - Beaute, and Jemme, and Whitening - but they are all strongly scented.

I THINK it's discontinued, now, and if it's gone in Japan it'll be a short time til it discontinues elsewhere.

Noooo! I wanted to try it!

Will let you know if I find another good one out here, as I know you're a fan of Japanese products.

H

November 30, 2010 at 4:48 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Omg I know, I recently heard about Sofina being discontinued in Japan and I was so unhappy hearing this. Sofina is by far my favorite sunscreen ever. I just stocked up on 3 bottles online (bobodave) just to be safe.

If you do find a similar alternative please let me know as I will make a blog post on it. <33 I heard the Biore UV Cut Milk is rather similar in matte-ness and feel.

November 30, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home