This Page

has been moved to new address

At Home Niacinamide Lightening Mask

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Minima Black Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 26 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#000; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif; text-align:center; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#9ad; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#a7a; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#ad9; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #333; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #222; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; color:#ccc; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#ccc; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#ad9; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #222; border-width:0 1px 1px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:bold 78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ad9; } .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#ad9; } .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#333; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#777; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#999; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

At Home Niacinamide Lightening Mask

 I mentioned in my post Benefits of Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) that I was going to research and come up with a way to create some sort of do-it-yourself niacinamide mask, toner or serum. Well, I actually found a lot of methods from various sources. I was originally thinking of adding N-Acetyl Glucosamine (which I will) but I don't know exactly how to add the right amount of that, or how that will affect the niacinamide and the overall pH of the mixture. Gah! Very confusing, but I will figure it out and post the Glucosamine + Niacinamide Lightening one sometime in the future.

For those of you haven't read my post detailing the benefits of niacinamide, I just want to state this: Niacinamide is something that I under estimated. I didn't give it enough credit at all, but after reading valid studies done that prove the skin lightening (and anti-acne) abilities of niacinamide, I am sold. Plus it's very healthy for the skin.

And let me tell you guys, I am in LOVE (alright that is a bit extreme of a word to use) with this DIY recipe. I used it this morning and after one application my skin has this refined, almost pearly look. This is amazing, and will definitley be a staple in my skin care regimen. I'll probably use this about once a week since I'm doing a lot of other things. You can customize this anywhere in your regimen as well. I would advise you NOT to use this on the same day you plan on using a peel. Also don't use this, and use a Vitamin C serum afterwards, that is just asking for irritation. Also, don't use this and apply a retinoid afterwards.

Personally I followed up with my sunscreen. I skipped using Bi-White today since the Ascorbic Glucoside in it might flare up my post-niacinamide infused skin.

Here is how you make it, and what you'll need. BTW I like to make it fresh each time.
First you need to get the niacinamide. You can get it either through capsule form (which you can just open up and pour out) or you can get it in already powder form. Here are some sites you can get it from:
http://www.bulkactives.com/niacinamide.htm
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com
http://www.skinactives.com/product/detail.aspx?prodID=73
http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Vitamin-B3-Niacinamide

I got mine from Vitacost. It is in capsule form, and can be easily broken in half and mixed with water or any solution.

Next step is to mix it with a base. I've read that you can mix with with some bland moisturizer (cetaphil etc.) or Olay Regenerist Serum. I've also read using contact solution! I decided to use water. I'm not sure exactly if that is the best base to use, but this is a work in progress mask. I will update with other options when I try them out. With water it worked fine, but my skin barrier is very resilient/healthy because of the products I've been using for years so I rarely get irritation or hyper sensitivity.

I used 2 tablets of the Vitacost Niacinamide and mixed it with 4 droplets of water from the tap. I mixed the best I could in the palm of my hands (it is VERY messy).

I applied the mixture over my entire face, avoiding the eye area. It looked insane though, it dries cakey (almost like a clay mask). Left it on for 30 minutes and rinsed off thoroughly with warm water, and then cool water to soothe my pores. When I towel dried my face, I was really astonished. My skin looked as soft as baby skin and was so glowing. My friends even noticed at school today. I should note that I noticed some slight redness on my upper cheeks (which faded fast) but I guess it's because it's my first time. I applied my sunscreen as usual and went about my day.

Wow! What a great little mask. I can only assume this can be used in other areas that have pigmentation concerns (hands, under arms, butt, elbows, knees).

I know this is very makeshift, and it is my first time trying this niacinamide mask out but I am pretty impressed. I am still reading ways to improve this mask, but as of now, mixing it with water seems to be just fine.

Try it out and let me know how it goes for you. Just for the record, here is the article I found that details how niacinamide can lighten skin: http://grande.nal.usda.gov/ibids/index.php?mode2=detail&origin=ibids_references&therow=496587

=D

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great article. hey btw, are you an english teacher? your english is perfect. can't find any gramatical errors.

November 18, 2009 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Thank you!

And no I'm not an english teacher, LMAO! I wouldn't mind being one though maybe later on. I am a nursing student. =D

November 18, 2009 at 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, if i use niacinamide 100mg, is that enough potency?

December 23, 2009 at 4:27 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Yep, that's good enough. It's actually better to start at smaller potencies like 100mg as opposed to 200 or higher at first. =)

December 23, 2009 at 7:40 AM  
Blogger Nitesh said...

In nicotanimide tablet there are other additives wil that effect the results

April 26, 2010 at 2:31 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Yeah it's best to get a capsule/tablet with the least amount of inactive ingredients. Vitacost.com sells a great one. ;)

April 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
Are you going to make a blog on how to mix it in serums/creams the right way ?

August 10, 2010 at 3:46 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

That is an amazing idea! I've been focusing on mixing and DIY skin care a lot lately. That is probably my next step. ;)

August 10, 2010 at 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I'm a fan of niacinamide but never thought of doing a mask of it. Maybe throw in some arbutin and kojic acid as well? You can get these from some of the sources you listed.

August 28, 2010 at 1:39 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

I'm not too well versed in mixing active ingredients together. Niacinamide has a low pH, mixing it directly with kojic acid (which also has a low pH) could cause some flushing (redness). I'm not entirely sure, but in any rate, using a pure niacinamide mask is really effective. The instant brightening effect is amazing.

August 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thinking of using your mask just under my eyes for the dark circles. They rest of my face does not need it. Do you think that would be safe?

September 6, 2010 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

You should be okay, just make sure to hydrate the skin under your eyes after you rinse off to prevent dryness. ;)

September 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mileena

How long should i wait to apply my retin-A or Vit C serum post DIY Niacinimide application?

Thanks

September 11, 2010 at 2:18 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Personally that is a combination I do not like to use all at once.

Niacinamide and Retin-A have no waiting time. You can layer the niacinamide underneath your Retin-A or over. Remember a little goes a long way. If I am going to layer products, I like to apply the serum first (so the niacinamide) then Retin-A sparingly on top. Works great.

Now all 3 at once. Okay, well first apply the Vitamin C. You must wait 15-20 minutes, then apply niacinamide (this reduces the chance of flushing) and then apply Retin-A directly on top.

Vitamin c works so much better in the daytime though
;)

September 11, 2010 at 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can taking certain supplements whiten your skin?

If I take high doses of vitamin C, niacinamide (B3) and optionally, Alpha Lipoic Acid, would my skin lighten over time?

I have taken vitamin C - 3000mg a day for about a month and my skin gained a significant glow, but I'm not sure if this will increase in time to whiten my skin. I wanted to take ALA to boost the vitamin C's capacity of increasing intercellular glutathione levels, but then thought it may not show really drastic results (because of your post about NAC not being effective, so why ALA?). I'm definitely going to give niacinamide, internally, a try though.

Are there any supplements you know of that can inhibit tyrosinase activity from inside out? Is Alpha lipoic Acid an antioxidant worth of giving a shot for this purpose?

P.S. this is why I began taking high-dose vitamin C; http://www.whiterskin.info/how-taking-extra-vitamin-c-lightens-skin/

P.S. could you also share some effective yet safe ingredients that are also available in tablet/pill form for this purpose? (and you think might actually work).

January 31, 2011 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi,

This is a great question that I hope to give a better, more 'backed with research and evidence' answer to in the future.

Internal skin care is something I am so fascinated with and I have read so many studies proving various vitamins and supplements that can have a profound effect on the look and coloring of the skin.

There is evidence that shows that a diet high in antioxidants does play a role in helping with pigmentation problems (dark spots, uneven coloring etc.). Vitamin c so far is the best route to take. Taken with ALA may strengthen the glow.

Internally niacinamide will not do much or anything in terms of whitening the skin color. Topically at 5% concentration it can interfere with melanin though.

Antioxidants are the way to go. Getting a glow is GREAT sign! I find when I eat lots of fresh, raw, or just organic foods my skin does visibly look healthier and brighter. I can see the brightness and lighter tones in my skin coming through when I up my vitamin c intake and eat copious amounts of blueberries or broccoli.

Have you heard of Yllume Lightening System? I made a blog on it last year and since I did I recieved several e-mails from people who used it and got pretty amazing results with it. It is basically a topical lightening/antioxidant cream with a great oral antioxidant formulation. Taken together it seems to do a great job. It's worth a look:

http://allaboutskinlightening.blogspot.com/2010/08/yllume-ultimate-illuminating-complex.html

January 31, 2011 at 9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this! I looked in stores, but I couldn't find it anywhere (I try to avoid ordering online). May I ask how much it cost to ship to Toronto?

March 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home