This Page

has been moved to new address

Licorice Extract May Be A Leading Ingredient In The Treatment Of Melasma

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Minima Black Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 26 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#000; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif; text-align:center; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#9ad; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#a7a; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#ad9; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #333; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #222; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; color:#ccc; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#ccc; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#ad9; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #222; border-width:0 1px 1px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:bold 78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ad9; } .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#ad9; } .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#333; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#777; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#999; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Monday, February 28, 2011

Licorice Extract May Be A Leading Ingredient In The Treatment Of Melasma

Photo Credit: Bloggang 
The treatment of melasma is the single most complicated hyper melanogenesis disorder out there. I make no arguments about that and have mentioned that before in previous posts. I am constantly trying to learn more about which treatment options respond best with people who have moderate or severe melasma. 

Connecting with other people that have melasma through my blog has been the ultimate resource for me. Knowing personal experiences with this issue helps me in writing useful blog posts that can cater to the questions and needs of people who are struggling.

Triple Topical Therapy is the top choice amongst dermatologists in approaching moderate or severe melasma in dark skinned individuals. But, hydroquinone can be very irritating for some reactive skin types, which can lead to increased pigmentation problems. That and some people just don’t feel safe using hydroquinone even just on the affected areas. 

I know there are many skin lightening ingredients out there that have the ability to treat melasma in various degrees of severity. I am still learning new ingredients all the time, which is always exciting and what keeps my fascination going in this field.  I am also always learning new functions and abilities of ingredients I’ve already known about for years!

One of the most well-known and commonly used skin lightening ingredients is licorice extract. This is one of my favorites because it usually does perform very well (on my skin!) at brightening it up and calming down redness. So when I learned that it could possibly be an alternative to hydroquinone when used at 7%, I was extremely intrigued.

A team of researchers in Brazil conducted a clinical study comparing the effect of belides, emblica and licorice at 7% and 2% hydroquinone.

The patients used in the study had varying degrees of melasma and were divided into 2 groups. The first group (group A) was treated with the belides, emblica and licorice extract 7% cream twice a day, while the second group (group B) used hydroquinone 2% at night. Both used an SPF of 35 during the day before the trial and during the trial.

The evaluation spanned for 60 days where depigmentation was visible in most patients in both groups. Two patients in group A (licorice extract based cream) experienced adverse skin effects, while seven patients in group B (hydroquinone) noticed adverse effects.

The amount of lightening produced in the melasma legions was significant and strikingly similar in results in both groups. This signifies a similar potency in melanin inhibition in the licorice extract based cream, which makes it a valid alternative.

There is a lot of information on the internet on making DIY serums and toners, so if you are interested in making a 7% licorice extract skin lightening treatment, then by all means start looking around and researching. There are several sites where you can purchase raw/fresh licorice extract to put into cosmetics or create treatments easily from. I am becoming very interested in making my own lighteners as of late, and will be posting a lot more content regarding DIY skin lightening when I launch the new version of the blog.
I’m sort of already beginning my DIY treatments but I need more time in getting everything right and learning as much as I can (I’m not a chemist!) and testing it out on myself. I’ll be sure to blog about it extensively in the future.


Learn how licorice extract lightens skin:

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally looking forward to your recipe once you come up with one :D

February 28, 2011 at 6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i really love your blog its very informative and helpful. i love checking new products and ingredients i can buy and use on my skin . yor help me out so much. keep up with the awesome work xoxo johnny : )

March 1, 2011 at 3:22 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Thanks! =D Yeah I've been using a REALLY awesome DIY serum lately but it's only been like 3 days but so far no irritation. Haven't seen much of anything but instant radiance but it's a good sign. I want to take the DIY route since I think now I know enough about skin lightening to create my own stuff.

It's also the 'inner chemist' in me coming out. I am science geek! ♥

March 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Thank you so much Jonny! ♥ I hope you like what I have in store for it, I'll be launching some cool things this month! =)

March 1, 2011 at 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written post. I have used HQ in the base with good results, but I agree - you should not use it much or for long. Somehow many people don't know that.

Have you heard about the new lumixyl topical brightening system? Totally non-toxic, no hydroquinone, no parapens, no SLS, and based on a peptide developed at Stanford University and shown to be more potent at inhibiting tyrosinase than Hydroquinone.

The full system works for me about as well as HQ and Tretinoin, but no redness, no itching, and no increased sun sensitivity... So you can use it all over your face. You might want to check it out.

March 3, 2011 at 12:19 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Thank you =D

I haven't heard of the Lumixyl Topical Brightening System, but it sounds fascinating. I'll check it out for sure, I've only recently been getting into peptide based skin lighteners and they work SO well on my skin! I'm glad the system is working for your skin. Thank you for letting me know about ♥

March 3, 2011 at 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mileena!..I love your Iformative blog....could you please share a recipe on how to make a diy a licorice extract serum?....Thanks

March 20, 2011 at 2:30 AM  
Blogger Mileena said...

Hi! Thank you! ♥

I still don't have it down right in terms of making the right licorice extract serum. I am currently working on making some of my own. I'm still very new to DIY lightening, but I'll be sure to post a blog once I do get it (the right base, pH etc.)

There are some wonderful resources online from message boards and stuff. I'm sure there is one on making a licorice extract toner or something. I'll try looking and post a link here once I find a reputable looking one.

=D

March 20, 2011 at 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home